James Prankerd Smith
James is a European and UK Patent Attorney, who guides clients through the process of obtaining patent protection in the UK and Europe as well as growing an international patent portfolio. James also advises clients on freedom to operate issues and patent opposition and revocation strategies.
In his spare time, James enjoys sailing and playing the piano.
James specialises largely in electrical, optical and computing technologies, and has particular experience with:
- Telecommunications signalling standards and physical communications
- Power circuitry
- Imaging and display electronics
- Optical display and communication systems
- Limits of patentability for financial, administrative and business technologies
- Medical imaging systems
- Laparoscopic systems and medical implants
European Patent Attorney
UK Patent Attorney
Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA)
Member of the European Patent Institute (EPI)
James graduated from Cambridge with a Master’s degree in Physics. James originally joined the patent profession in 2014, and GJE in 2019, having previously worked at another international Intellectual Property firm.