Chartered Patent Attorney
European Patent Attorney
Ian graduated from University of Cardiff with a first class (Hons.) Master’s Degree in Chemistry, and subsequently completed a PhD in organic chemistry from the same institute. He also holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law from University of Manchester.
Ian joined the patent profession in 2012, after a successful career in pharmaceutical research. He gained experience at other top tier UK firms before joining Gill Jennings & Every in 2016.
Drawing on a decade of experience, Ian advises companies in the pharmaceutical and industrial chemistry sectors on how to protect their innovation and leverage the value of their intellectual property. He is often credited by his client’s as being their external “in-house” IP Counsel.
Primarily working with pharmaceuticals and industrial processes, his work often extends into related sectors, such as biotechnology and medical devices. Ian specialises in the following areas:
• New chemical entities in the pharmaceutical sector
• Artificial intelligence in pharmaceutical applications
• Drug repositioning/repurposing, formulations and dosage regiments
• Process chemistry
• Home and personal care products.
Ian also has a wealth of experience with:
• Supplementary Protection Certificate (SPC) filing and prosecution
• Invention harvesting
• Due diligence in support of investment rounds
• Freedom-to-operate analysis and infringement opinions
• Portfolio and asset management
• Oppositions and appeals at the European Patent Office.
Working with a wide range of clients, Ian guides start-ups through the fundamentals of IP, helping them understand how IP can support their business. He assists spin-outs and SMEs to establish and develop their IP portfolios and has helped multinational corporations by delivering clear and actionable recommendations on their IP. Ian’s commercial advice is supported by a wealth of experience in patent drafting and global prosecution, including the UK, Europe, the US and East Asia.
• Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA)
• European Patent Institute (EPI)
Outside of the office, Ian spends his time on home improvements, boasting a healthy collection of power tools, and the scars to prove it.